2019 S-Works Epic Evo
Ever been in the middle of stage race and needed just a little more margin for error on the descents? Or maybe you've been speeding through the backcountry and felt beat up, near bonking, and you just needed to make it back to the trailhead without going over the bars? Yeah, we’ve been there, too. And that's why we made a bike that’s perfect for those situations. Say hello to the S-Works Epic EVO—it’s, well, a more "epic" Epic.
Take a look around our office and you're going to see plenty Epics—most of them wearing dropper posts, wider tires and bars, and slightly longer forks. That's because the Epics that we're Frankensteining are not only fast off the start line, they're even better suited to masochistically long rides, multi-day stage races, and fast backcountry missions. At some point, we looked around and said to ourselves, “We should offer this bike, right out of the box, right?” So we did.
So let's dig into the details. First off, the EVO ups the fork travel from 100mm to 120mm. This gives you some relief up front while also slacking-out the front-end by one-degree to 68.5º. Next up, we added a zero-offset dropper post to give you more control on descents, but this design keeps your saddle over the BB on steep climbs. We also put some meat on the tires with a grippy 2.3" Ground Control at the front and a stiffer Fast Trak at the rear with GRID protection at the sidewalls.
The Epic EVO also features our Brain 2.0. The OG Brain changed the way the bike world looked at suspension, and oh was it good. It won races and put a flag in the ground for us as a true leader in innovation and suspension development, but we knew that we could make it better. Simple physics told us that, by moving the Brain closer to the rear axle, it would be in the most sensitive spot. And after some lengthy R&D, it's totally new. Now, it reacts seamlessly to bump forces, it has much more consistent damping performance, and finally, it integrates the hoses into the suspension links. This means that the oil paths are improved, and that creates an incredibly sleek package that outperforms anything on the market.
This is also among our first Rider-First Engineered™ MTB frames, where the tubes place complex carbon pieces in all the right places, regardless of the frame size. As a result, stiffness is increased in the front-end for a vast improvement in the ride and in control. And to go along with this, each frame size has size-specific tubes that result in the stiffest, best-riding XC bike we've ever developed.
And while stiffness, Brain technology, and geometry features are cool and all, we know what you’re thinking, "What about the weight?” We’re glad you asked. The weight- savings on the frame is equivalent to shedding a chainstay and shock extension from the previous Epic—nearly 525 grams. And now, carbon models also feature additional tire clearance to accommodate wider, 2.3-inch tires. More traction, ultimately, equals more speed.
The build of this S-Works Epic EVO spares no expense, featuring Shimano’s new 12-speed XTR groupset and brakes, a FOX Factory Step-Cast 34 fork, and a hand-built Roval Control SL carbon wheelset.
- A FOX Factory Step-Cast 34 handles suspension duties up front with 120mm of plush travel. The Fit4 damper provides plenty of adjustability, while the new Step-Cast design keeps weight at a minimum while boosting stiffness.
- The Roval Control SL carbon wheels are the ultimate XC wheelset. They feature a 25mm internal width for low rolling resistance, a strong, hookless bead rim construction, and an ultra-low weight of only 1320 grams.
- A dropper post on an XC bike? Yeah, you can thank us later. Adding minimal weight, but tons of shredability, the FOX Factory Transfer dropper post, with zero-offset, keeps your position over the bottom bracket and it gets out of the way while you're descending.
- FRAME S-Works FACT 12m, XC Geometry, Rider-First Engineered™, threaded BB, 12x148mm rear spacing, internal cable routing, 100mm of travel
- FORK FOX Factory Step-Cast 34, Fit4 damper, Kashima, Boost™, 44mm offset, 120mm of travel
- REAR SHOCK Custom RockShox Micro Brain shock w/ Spike Valve, AUTOSAG, 51x257mm
- FRONT HUB Roval Control SL, sealed cartridge bearings, 15mm thru-axle, 110mm spacing, 24h
- REAR HUB Roval Control SL, DT Swiss Star Ratchet, 54t engagement, DT microspline, 12mm thru-axle, 148mm spacing, 28h
- SPOKES DT Swiss Industry
- RIMS Roval Control SL, hookless carbon, 25mm internal width, tubeless-ready, hand-built
- INNER TUBES Presta, 60mm valve
- FRONT TYRE Ground Control, GRIPTON® compound, 60 TPI, 2Bliss Ready, 29x2.3"
- REAR TYRE Fast Trak, GRID casing, GRIPTON® compound, 60 TPI, 2Bliss Ready, 29x2.3"
- CRANKSET Race Face Next SL, 170/175mm *See note below
- SHIFT LEVERS Shimano XTR M9100, 12-speed
- REAR DERAILLEUR Shimano XTR M9100, 12-speed, Shadow Plus
- CASSETTE Shimano XTR M9100, 12-speed, 10-51t
- CHAIN KMC X12 Ti, 12-speed *See note below
- FRONT BRAKE Shimano XTR Race M9100
- REAR BRAKE Shimano XTR Race M9100
- HANDLEBARS S-Works Carbon Mini Rise, 6-degree upsweep, 8-degree backsweep, 10mm rise, 750mm, 31.8mm
- GRIPS Specialized Sip grip, half-waffle, S/M: regular thickness, L/XL: XL thickness
- STEM S-Works SL
- SADDLE Body Geometry Phenom Pro, carbon fiber rails, carbon fiber base, 143mm
- SEATPOST FOX Factory Transfer, Kashima, Shimano Ispec-EV lever (S: 100mm, M-XL: 125mm)
- SEAT BINDER Alloy, 34.9mm, titanium bolt
* The S-Works Epic Evo will see a running spec change. Sizes L and XL will initially come with Shimano XTR M9100 cranks and XTR chain until supplies run out. Then, they'll be back to RaceFace Next SL cranks and KMC chain. Sizes small and medium come with Race Face and KMC as spec'd.
|Bike Standover Height||772mm||777mm||782mm||804mm|
|Fork Length, Full||526mm||526mm||526mm||526mm|
|Head Tube Angle||68.5°||68.5°||68.5°||68.5°|
|Head Tube Length||95mm||105mm||120mm||140mm|
|Seat Tube Angle||73.8°||73.8°||73.8°||73.8°|
|Seat Tube Length||400mm||434mm||470mm||520mm|
|Top Tube Length, Horizontal||571mm||599mm||626mm||650mm|
Click here for a general sizing guide.
We'll take care of you.
Free 6 Week Check
We offer a free 6 week check on all new bikes that we sell to guarantee that your bike is still running sweet. This check is basically the last step in a bike's quality control. We go over the bike and make sure it's safe, gears are tuned up, bolts are torqued up and that there are no potential issues.
Specialized has one of the bike industry's most generous, rider-oriented warranty policies to offer. They have expanded their coverage across their range of bikes and gear. Their frames and Roval wheels have a lifetime warranty and most warranties become transferrable to a subsequent owner, who will then be eligible for warranty 2 years from the original retail purchase date.