2018 S-Works Tarmac Disc
The all-new Rider-First Engineered Tarmac.
When we developed the new S-Works Tarmac Disc, we didn't just want it to be fast. No, we wanted it to be fast everywhere. Long climbs, windy flats, Grand Tour stages, and local fondos—we built a race bike to be the most complete out there. And now with disc brakes, we've managed to make it, well, even more complete.
For the construction, we utilized advanced aerospace composite optimization software to revolutionize the construction and layup of our new FACT 12r carbon. It's the most advanced material, and schedule, we've ever made and this allowed us to shed nearly 200 grams. That's right, a 20% reduction in frame weight—the perfect recipe for your next hill climb PR.
We also took major steps to improving our Rider-First Engineered™ technology to ensure that the new Tarmac is stiff and compliant in exactly the right places, all while shedding some serious weight. From different layup schedules and materials, to visibly different forks, we scrutinized every single aspect of the new Tarmac to ensure you're getting the perfect ride. With this revamp, we also updated the geometry, basing it on countless Retül data points and professional rider input. This enabled us to develop a Performance Road Geometry that perfects the combination of a responsive front end and short wheelbase, which delivers instantaneous response and optimal power transfer.
And while stiffness aids in the aforementioned, compliance must also be utilized for an optimal ride quality. That's why we designed a seatpost that builds compliance into the upper 120mm where clamping doesn't happen, dropped the seatstays, and altered the seat tube shape. We also added tire clearance up to 30mm, which translates to a 28mm Turbo Cotton on a Roval CLX 50 Disc wheel. This allows lower pressures for decreased rolling resistance, increased traction, and more comfort. Altogether, these additions still have the Tarmac riding like a true race-machine, but it also takes a bit of the sting out of road imperfections. You'll thank us on your next long ride.
But why disc brakes? The real question is "why not?" They offer superior braking power and modulation, work exceptionally well in wet weather, and offer a very, very minor weight addition. All this means that you have more control and can go faster with more confidence.
We also know, however, that aerodynamic improvements are the most important thing we can do to make you faster. Both our Bora-Hansgrohe and Team Quick-Step Floors Pro Tour riders, after all, are demanding aero improvements on every bike. With this, the aero goal was to discover where we could essentially "add aero for free," by not taking anything away from the hallmarks of the Tarmac design. During the six-month iterative process, three areas were discovered where we could do this—a new fork shape, dropped seatstays with aero tubes, and a D-shaped seatpost and seat tube. The result? A bike that's approximately 45 seconds faster over 40km compared to other lightweight bikes in the same category.
Next, we included the lightest (440g/172.5mm) and most accurate power meter available, because no matter your skill level or experience on the bike, there's no better way to enhance your training and racing performance than by riding with a power meter. Lucky for you, we've combined our incredibly light and stiff carbon fiber S-Works road cranks with dual-sided power measurement.
This S-Works Tarmac comes ready to race with Shimano's new Dura-Ace 9170 Di2 groupset with disc brakes, and the lightweight, yet impressively aerodynamic, Roval CLX 50 Disc wheels with 26mm Turbo Cotton tires.
- Featuring our Rider-First Engineered™ design that ensures every frame size has the same legendary climbing responsiveness and descending prowess you'd expect from a Tarmac. The S-Works FACT 12r frameset is our highest quality carbon frame, offering the ideal blend of light overall weight and targeted stiffness.
- S-Works full FACT carbon fork with a tapered construction provides incredible front end stiffness and steering response for instantaneous accelerations and high-speed descents.
- We've combined our incredibly light and stiff, carbon fiber S-Works road cranks with dual-sided power measurement, making it the lightest (440g/172.5mm) and most accurate (+/- 1.5%) power meter available.
The Win Tunnel: Rim vs. Disc Brakes
- FRAME S-Works Tarmac SL6, FACT 12r carbon, Rider-First Engineered™, OSBB, clean routing, Di2 specific, internally integrated seat clamp, 12x142mm thru-axle, flat-mount disc
- FORK S-Works FACT carbon, 12x100mm, thru-axle
- FRONT WHEEL Roval CLX 50 Disc, carbon, tubeless-ready, Win Tunnel Engineered, 50mm depth, CeramicSpeed bearings, 21h
- REAR WHEEL Roval CLX 50 Disc, carbon, tubeless-ready, Win Tunnel Engineered, 50mm depth, DT Swiss 240 internals, CeramicSpeed bearings, 24h
- INNER TUBES 60mm Turbo tube w/ Talc
- FRONT TYRE Turbo Cotton, 700x26mm, 320 TPI
- REAR TYRE Turbo Cotton, 700x26mm, 320 TPI
- CRANKSET S-Works Power Cranks, dual-sided power measurement, +/- 1.5% accuracy
- CHAINRINGS 52/36T
- BOTTOM BRACKET OSBB, CeramicSpeed bearings
- SHIFT LEVERS Shimano Dura-Ace Di2 Disc 9170
- FRONT DERAILLEUR Shimano Dura-Ace Di2 9150, braze-on
- REAR DERAILLEUR Shimano Dura-Ace Di2 9150, 11-speed
- CASSETTE Shimano Dura-Ace 9100, 11-speed, 11-30t
- CHAIN Shimano Dura-Ace,11-speed
- FRONT BRAKE Shimano Dura-Ace Di2 9170, hydraulic disc
- REAR BRAKE Shimano Dura-Ace Di2 9170, hydraulic disc
- HANDLEBARS S-Works SL Carbon Shallow Drop, 125x75mm
- TAPE S-Wrap w/ Sticky gel
- STEM S-Works SL, alloy, titanium bolts, 6-degree rise
- SADDLE S-Works Toupé, Body Geometry shape, 143mm width, carbon rails
- SEATPOST S-Works FACT Carbon Tarmac seatpost, 20mm offset
- SEAT BINDER Tarmac SL6 clamp assembly
|Bike Standover Height||740mm||755mm||775mm||795mm||826mm||850mm|
|Fork Length, Full||363mm||363mm||363mm||363mm||363mm||363mm|
|Head Tube Angle||72°||73°||73°||74°||74°||74°|
|Head Tube Length||115mm||126mm||143mm||163mm||190mm||210mm|
|Seat Tube Angle||76°||74°||74°||74°||74°||73°|
|Seat Tube Length||431mm||462mm||481mm||501mm||522mm||553mm|
|Top Tube Length, Horizontal||508mm||531mm||540mm||562mm||577mm||595mm|
Click here for a general sizing guide.
We'll take care of you.
Free General Service
To guarantee that your new bike stays running sweet, we offer a free General Service on all bikes that we sell. Worth $89, we'll do your first one for free at 6 months of ownership. Note that while the General Service labour is free, additional labour or parts cost extra. Bookings are required.
Specialized has one of the bike industry's most generous, rider-oriented warranty policies to offer. They have expanded their coverage across their range of bikes and gear. Their frames and Roval wheels have a lifetime warranty and most warranties become transferrable to a subsequent owner, who will then be eligible for warranty 2 years from the original retail purchase date.