2018 Chisel Expert 2x
The XC hardtail with added trail DNA.
Specialized's senior Advanced R&D Engineer, Chuck Teixeira, says, "If you haven't ridden an aluminum bike lately, you haven't ridden an aluminum bike."
Traditional welding methods create frame joints by connecting tubes to cylinders, leaving the performance and security of the connection up to the skill of the welder. D'Aluisio (DSW), however, allows us to move the joint away from the area of the highest stress, making for a lighter frameset that's stiff, compliant, and incredibly strong—the optimal characteristics of a hardtail XC rig. So what does this mean for you? You'll be powering up climbs, shredding singletrack, and everything in between on a bike that has you questioning why alloy as gotten such a bad rap.
And to further improve this feel, the Chisel also features XC 29 geometry which took the previous XC race geo and added some trail DNA to the mix. This equates to a longer top tube, a shortened head tube, and a slacked out front end, the result of which is a tremendous increase in downhill stability, plus a wider range of fit. And just as importantly, this doesn't require any sacrifice of climbing proficiency.
The build on this Chisel features a mix of Shimano XT and SLX components, a wide rang of gears that come courtesy of a two-by drivetrain, powerful hydraulic disc brakes, and 25-millimeter-wide alloy wheels that are optimized for weight and traction.
- Given its lightweight and ultra-stiff characteristics, M5 aluminum was the natural choice for the frame's construction. And when complemented with speed-focused XC 29 Geometry, D'Aluisio Smartweld technology, and internal cable routing, you get a bike that compromises nothing in delivering explosive speed, confident handling, and hassle-free maintenance.
- A custom RockShox Reba RL 29 fork offers up 90/100mm of smooth travel (size-specific), while an easily accessible compression and rebound adjusts permit you to customize the feel according to the terrain at hand.
- Shimano controls the 11-speed shifting with SLX shifters and an ultra-crisp and reliable Deore XT M8000 rear derailleur.
- FRAME Specialized D'Aluisio Smartweld M5 Alloy, XC Geometry, internal cable routing, BSA BB, 12x148mm rear end, triangulated post-mount 160mm brake
- FORK RockShox Reba RL 29, Solo Air, 51mm offset, 15x110mm thru-axle (S: 90mm, M-XL: 100mm of travel)
- FRONT HUB Specialized Alloy 29, 25mm internal width, 24h
- REAR HUB Specialized disc, alloy, sealed cartridge bearings, 12x148mm thru-axle, 32h
- SPOKES Stainless, 14g
- RIMS Specialized Alloy 29, 25mm internal width
- INNER TUBES Standard, Presta valve
- FRONT TYRE Fast Trak, GRIPTON compound, 29x2.3", 60 TPI, Aramid folding bead, 2Bliss Ready
- REAR TYRE Fast Trak, GRIPTON compound, 29x2.1", 60 TPI, Aramid folding bead, 2Bliss Ready
- CRANKSET Race Face Aeffect
- CHAINRINGS 26/36T
- BOTTOM BRACKET Race Face Threaded BSA
- SHIFT LEVERS Shimano SLX, 11-speed
- FRONT DERAILLEUR Shimano SLX, down swing, 2x11
- REAR DERAILLEUR Shimano XT, Shadow Plus, GS cage, 11-speed
- CASSETTE Shimano SLX, 11-speed, 11-42t
- CHAIN KMC X11, 11-speed w/ Missing Link™
- FRONT BRAKE Shimano MT500 Deore, hydraulic disc, 180/160mm rotor
- REAR BRAKE Shimano MT500 Deore, hydraulic disc, 160mm rotor
- HANDLEBARS Specialized Mini-rise, 6000 alloy, 8-degree backsweep, 6-degree upsweep, 10mm rise, 720mm width, 31.8mm clamp
- GRIPS Specialized Sip Grip, half-waffle, S/M: regular thickness, L/XL: XL thickness
- STEM Specialized XC, 3D-forged alloy, 4-bolt, 6-degree rise
- SADDLE Body Geometry Phenom Comp, Adaptive Edge design, Hollow Cr-Mo rails, 143mm
- SEATPOST Specialized, alloy, single bolt, 27.2mm
- SEAT BINDER Specialized Alloy 30.8mm
- PEDALS Specialized Platform, 9/16" spindle
|Bike Standover Height||760mm||790mm||814mm||845mm|
|Fork Length, Full||496mm||506mm||506mm||506mm|
|Head Tube Angle||69.8°||69.8°||69.8°||69.8°|
|Head Tube Length||95mm||95mm||110mm||125mm|
|Seat Tube Angle||74°||74°||74°||74°|
|Seat Tube Length||400mm||430mm||470mm||520mm|
|Top Tube Length, Horizontal||567mm||594mm||622mm||648mm|
Click here for a general sizing guide.
We'll take care of you.
Free General Service
To guarantee that your new bike stays running sweet, we offer a free General Service on all bikes that we sell. Worth $89, we'll do your first one for free at 6 months of ownership. Note that while the General Service labour is free, additional labour or parts cost extra. Bookings are required.
Specialized has one of the bike industry's most generous, rider-oriented warranty policies to offer. They have expanded their coverage across their range of bikes and gear. Their frames and Roval wheels have a lifetime warranty and most warranties become transferrable to a subsequent owner, who will then be eligible for warranty 2 years from the original retail purchase date.