2018 Epic Comp
Lighter, faster and smarter than ever.
While carbon often gets all the credit, alloy is far from obsolete, especially the M5 premium aluminium with D'Aluisio Smartweld technology found on the Epic Comp Alloy. It's lightweight, stiff, and can also take a beating. But not only that, you also get a redesigned version of the Brain suspension technology that's made the Epic famous.
Race courses have evolved over the past few years. They're more technical, steeper, and simply more challenging to ride. Specialized looked at the sum of parts that make a bike handle well, like the head angle, reach, stack, chainstay length, fork offset, etc., and reevaluated all of it. Increasing the reach made a bike that was more stable at speed and generally more comfortable to ride. Dropper posts? Yep, those fit, and not just a short travel XC option, but full-length droppers that fit in the 30.9mm seat tube. Specialized slackened the head anglet, but not without evaluating the overall handling package. It now lands on a custom offset, 42mm fork that works with the slacker head angle in order to behave itself in tight corners and through switchbacks.
Next comes the redesigned Brain technology, Brain 2.0. The Brain changed the way the bike world looked at suspension, both its inefficiencies and benefits alike. It won races and put a flag in the ground for us as a true leader in innovation and suspension development. By moving the Brain closer to the rear axle, it would be in the most sensitive spot. And after countless hours with the RockShox team, the new Brain became more than just a slight upgrade. It's totally new. Now, it reacts seamlessly to bump forces, it has much more consistent damping performance, and finally, it integrates the hoses into the suspension links. This, in turn, improves oil paths, and it creates an incredibly sleek package that outperforms anything on the market.
At the heart of the construction, you'll find Specialized's M5 alloy with the exclusive D'Aluisio Smartweld Technology, which strategically places more welding material where it's needed, resulting in an aluminium bike that's more compliant and considerably stiffer at nearly every tube juncture.
The build of the Epic Comp Alloy is value-packed, featuring an 11-speed SRAM GX groupset, SRAM Level TL brakes, and a Roval Control alloy wheelset.
- The M5 Premium Alloy frame with D'Aluisio Smartweld technology finally brings you all the benefits of alloy, like durability, in a lightweight package.
- A RockShox Reba RL fork soaks up the bumps up front, and features both compression and rebound adjustments.
- An 11-speed SRAM GX groupset handles shifting duties, bringing the convenience of one-by to your XC rig.
- FRAME Specialized M5 Aluminum w/ D'Aluisio Smartweld Technology, threaded BB, 12x148mm rear spacing, internal cable routing, 100mm of travel, flex pivot
- FORK RockShox Reba RL 29, Solo Air, compression / rebound adjust, tapered alloy steerer, 110x15mm Maxle® Stealth thru-axle, 100mm of travel, 42mm offset
- REAR SHOCK RockShox / Specialized Micro Brain shock w/ Spike Valve, AUTOSAG, 51x257mm
- FRONT HUB Specialized disc, sealed cartridge bearing, 15x110mm spacing, torque caps, 32h
- REAR HUB Specialized disc, sealed cartridge bearings, 12x148mm spacing, 32h
- SPOKES DT Swiss Industry, stainless, 3-cross, 2.0"
- RIMS Roval Control 29, hookless alloy, 22mm internal width, tubeless-ready
- INNER TUBES Standard, Presta valve
- FRONT TYRE Fast Trak, GRIPTON compound, 29x2.3", 60 TPI, Aramid folding bead, 2Bliss Ready
- REAR TYRE Fast Trak, GRIPTON compound, 29x2.1", 60 TPI, Aramid folding bead, 2Bliss Ready
- CRANKSET Race Face Aeffect, 6000 Series alloy
- CHAINRINGS Steel, 30T
- BOTTOM BRACKET Threaded BB, 24mm spindle
- SHIFT LEVERS SRAM GX, trigger, 11-speed
- REAR DERAILLEUR SRAM GX, long cage, 11-speed
- CASSETTE SRAM XG 1150, 11-speed, 10-42t
- CHAIN KMC X11, 11-speed w/ Missing Link™
- FRONT BRAKE SRAM Level TL, hydraulic disc, organic pads, 160/180mm rotor
- REAR BRAKE SRAM Level TL, hydraulic disc, organic pads, 160 rotor
- HANDLEBARS Specialized Mini-rise, 6000 alloy, 8-degree backsweep, 6-degree upsweep, 10mm rise, 720mm width, 31.8mm clamp
- GRIPS Specialized Sip Grip, half-waffle, S/M: regular thickness, L/XL: XL thickness
- STEM Specialized XC, 3D-forged alloy, 4-bolt, 6-degree rise
- SADDLE Body Geometry Phenom Comp, Adaptive Edge design, Hollow Cr-Mo rails, 143mm
- SEATPOST Specialized, alloy, single bolt, 30.9mm
- SEAT BINDER Alloy, 34.9mm
|Bike Standover Height||765mm||768mm||771mm||775mm|
|Fork Length, Full||506mm||506mm||506mm||506mm|
|Head Tube Angle||69.5°||69.5°||69.5°||69.5°|
|Head Tube Length||95mm||110mm||125mm||140mm|
|Seat Tube Angle||74.75°||74.75°||74.75°||74.75°|
|Seat Tube Length||400mm||434mm||470mm||520mm|
|Top Tube Length, Horizontal||568mm||597mm||624mm||647mm|