2018 Epic Expert
Lighter, faster and smarter than ever.
Race courses have evolved over the past few years. They're more technical, steeper, and simply more challenging to ride. Specialized looked at the sum of parts that make a bike handle well, like the head angle, reach, stack, chainstay length, fork offset, etc., and reevaluated all of it. Increasing the reach made a bike that was more stable at speed and generally more comfortable to ride. Dropper posts? Yep, those fit, and not just a short travel XC option, but full-length droppers that fit in the 30.9mm seat tube. The head angle was slackened, but not without evaluating the overall handling package. It now lands on a custom offset, 42mm fork that works with the slacker head angle in order to behave itself in tight corners and through switchbacks.
Next comes the redesigned Brain technology, Brain 2.0. The Brain changed the way the bike world looked at suspension, both its inefficiencies and benefits alike. It won races and put a flag in the ground for Specialized as a true leader in innovation and suspension development. By moving the Brain closer to the rear axle, it would be in the most sensitive spot. And after countless hours with the RockShox team, the new Brain became more than just a slight upgrade. It's totally new. Now, it reacts seamlessly to bump forces, it has much more consistent damping performance, and finally, it integrates the hoses into the suspension links. This, in turn, improves oil paths, and it creates an incredibly sleek package that outperforms anything on the market.
The new Epic also gets a serious upgrade in the stiffness department. The Rider-First Engineered tubes place complex carbon pieces in all the right places, which greatly increases stiffness in the front end for a vast improvement in ride quality and control. To go along with this, each frame size has size- specific tubes that result in the stiffest, best riding XC bike they've ever developed —no matter the frame size.
With the goal of the new Epic to be the fastest XC mountain bike Specialized has ever made, weight was at the top of the priorities list. They started with an efficient frame layout and tube shapes that feature clean cable routing, integrated channels through the shock extension, straight tubes with less curves, and optimised torsion profiles in every section. And if you're curious, this weight savings is equivalent to shedding a chainstay and shock extension from the previous Epic—nearly 525 grams.
The build of the Epic Expert meshes performance with value, featuring a 12- speed SRAM GX Eagle groupset, SRAM Level TL brakes, and a hand-built Roval Control carbon fibre wheelset.
- Full fact 11m carbon fibre frame combines stiffness, strength, and light overall weight to deliver an off-the-hook race bike. Meanwhile, the new geometry, RockShox Brain shock, and 100mm of travel, make the Epic the best handling, fastest XC rig you've been on.
- Custom RockShox SID fork with Brain features a top-adjust Brain fade, and a custom offset to make it suitable for the new Epic.
- The 12-speed SRAM GX Eagle groupset brings the performance of Eagle at a doable price point.
- FRAME Specialized FACT 11m, full carbon frame, XC Geometry, threaded BB, 12x148mm rear spacing, internal cable routing, 100mm of travel
- FORK RockShox SID 29 w/ Brain, tapered alloy steerer, bottom-adjust Brain Fade, Solo Air, 110x15mm Maxle® Stealth thru-axle, 100mm of travel, 42mm offset,
- REAR SHOCK RockShox/Specialized Micro Brain shock w/ Spike Valve, AUTOSAG, 51x257mm
- INNER TUBES Standard, Presta valve
- FRONT TYRE Fast Trak, GRIPTON compound, 29x2.3", 60 TPI, Aramid folding bead, 2Bliss Ready
- REAR TYRE Fast Trak, GRIPTON compound, 29x2.1", 60 TPI, Aramid folding bead, 2Bliss Ready
- CRANKSET Truvativ Stylo, 6K alloy, Boost™ 148, 24mm spindle
- CHAINRINGS Alloy Eagle 32T
- BOTTOM BRACKET SRAM GXP
- SHIFT LEVERS SRAM GX Eagle, trigger, 12-speed
- REAR DERAILLEUR SRAM GX Eagle, 12-speed
- CASSETTE SRAM GX Eagle, 12-speed, 10-50t
- CHAIN SRAM GX Eagle, 12-speed w/ PowerLink
- FRONT BRAKE SRAM Level TL, hydraulic disc, organic pads, 160/180mm rotor
- REAR BRAKE SRAM Level TL, hydraulic disc, organic pads, 160 rotor
- HANDLEBARS Specialized Mini-rise, 7050 alloy, 8-degree backsweep, 6-degree upsweep, 10mm rise, 720mm width, 31.8mm clamp
- GRIPS Specialized Sip Grip, half-waffle, S/M: regular thickness, L/XL: XL thickness
- STEM Specialized XC, 3D-forged alloy, 4-bolt, 6-degree rise
- SADDLE Body Geometry Phenom Comp, Adaptive Edge design, Hollow Cr-Mo rails, 143mm
- SEATPOST Specialized, alloy, single bolt, 21mm offset, 30.9mm
- SEAT BINDER Alloy, 34.9mm
|Bike Standover Height||764mm||770mm||776mm||799mm|
|Fork Length, Full||506mm||506mm||506mm||506mm|
|Head Tube Angle||69.5°||69.5°||69.5°||69.5°|
|Head Tube Length||95mm||105mm||120mm||140mm|
|Seat Tube Angle||74.75°||74.75°||74.75°||74.75°|
|Seat Tube Length||400mm||434mm||470mm||520mm|
|Top Tube Length, Horizontal||568mm||595mm||623mm||649mm|