2018 S-Works Epic Frameset
Lighter, faster and smarter than ever.
The all-new S-Works Epic Frameset is the foundation for the fastest XC dream build on the planet. Race courses have evolved over the past few years. They're more technical, steeper, and simply more challenging to ride. Specialized looked at the sum of parts that make a bike handle well, like the head angle, reach, stack, chainstay length, fork offset, etc., and reevaluated all of it. Increasing the reach made a bike that was more stable at speed and generally more comfortable to ride. Dropper posts? Yep, those fit, and not just a short travel XC option, but full-length droppers that fit in the 30.9mm seat tube. The head angle was slackened, but not without evaluating the overall handling package. It now lands on a custom offset, 42mm fork that works with the slacker head angle in order to behave itself in tight corners and through switchbacks.
Next comes the redesigned Brain technology, Brain 2.0. The Brain changed the way the bike world looked at suspension, both its inefficiencies and benefits alike. It won races and put a flag in the ground for Specialized as a true leader in innovation and suspension development. By moving the Brain closer to the rear axle, it would be in the most sensitive spot. And after countless hours with the RockShox team, the new Brain became more than just a slight upgrade. It's totally new. Now, it reacts seamlessly to bump forces, it has much more consistent damping performance, and finally, it integrates the hoses into the suspension links. This, in turn, improves oil paths, and it creates an incredibly sleek package that outperforms anything on the market.
The new Epic also gets a serious upgrade in the stiffness department. The Rider-First Engineered tubes place complex carbon pieces in all the right places, which greatly increases stiffness in the front end for a vast improvement in ride quality and control. To go along with this, each frame size has size- specific tubes that result in the stiffest, best riding XC bike they've ever developed —no matter the frame size.
With the goal of the new Epic to be the fastest XC mountain bike they've ever made, weight was at the top of the priorities list. Specialized started with an efficient frame layout and tube shapes that feature clean cable routing, integrated channels through the shock extension, straight tubes with less curves, and optimised torsion profiles in every section. And, if you're curious, this weight savings is equivalent to shedding a chainstay and shock extension from the previous Epic —nearly 350 grams.
All of those changes, the degrees, the millimeters, and the grams, make it the world's fastest XC bike. Period. Get ready, because this is going to be Epic.
- S-Works FACT 12m carbon fibre frame is the best combination of stiffness, strength, and light overall weight, resulting in the utmost efficiency and speed. Meanwhile, the new geometry, RockShox Brain shock, and 100mm of travel, make the Epic the best handling, fastest XC bike you've ever been on.
- The all-new RockShox/Specialized Micro Brain shock has the best bump sensitivity and plush-feel of any Epic to date, but it still features the same race-winning efficiency when you're putting out the power.
- Custom RockShox SID WC fork with Brain features a full-carbon upper, top-adjust Brain fade, and a custom offset to make it the perfect match to the new Epic.
- FRAME S-Works FACT 12m, XC Geometry, threaded BB, 12x148mm rear spacing, internal cable routing, 100mm of travel
- FORK RockShox SID WC Brain 29, Top-Adjust Brain Fade Adjust, Solo Air, tapered carbon crown/steerer, 42mm offset, 15x110mm Maxle® Stealth thru-axle, 100mm of travel
- REAR SHOCK RockShox/Specialized Micro Brain shock w/ Spike Valve, AUTOSAG, 51x257mm
- SEATPOST S-Works FACT carbon, 10mm setback, 30.9mm
- SEAT BINDER Specialized Alloy 34.9mm, Ti bolt
|Bike Standover Height||764mm||770mm||776mm||799mm|
|Fork Length, Full||506mm||506mm||506mm||506mm|
|Head Tube Angle||69.5°||69.5°||69.5°||69.5°|
|Head Tube Length||95mm||105mm||120mm||140mm|
|Seat Tube Angle||74.75°||74.75°||74.75°||74.75°|
|Seat Tube Length||400mm||434mm||470mm||520mm|
|Top Tube Length, Horizontal||568mm||595mm||623mm||649mm|