2019 Tarmac Disc Expert
If you plan on racing a Grand Tour this summer, sure, go rock that S-Works. But if you're on the hunt for a glorious ride that can smash both a local crit and your friends on the weekends, you'll feel right at home on the Tarmac Disc Expert.
In order cut some grams from the Tarmac, but to also ensure that it's stiff and compliant in exactly the right places, we took major steps to improving our Rider-First Engineered™ technology. From different layup schedules and materials, to visibly different forks, we scrutinized every single aspect of the Tarmac to ensure you're getting the perfect ride. With this revamp, we also updated the geometry, basing it on countless Retül data points and professional rider input. This enabled us to develop a Performance Road Geometry that perfects the combination of a responsive front-end and short wheelbase, which delivers instantaneous response and optimal power transfer.
And while stiffness aids in the aforementioned, compliance must also be utilized for an optimal ride quality. That's why we designed a seatpost that builds compliance into the upper 120mm where clamping doesn't happen, dropped the seatstays, and altered the seat tube shape. We also added tire clearance up to 30mm, which translates to a 28mm Turbo Cotton on a Roval C 38 Disc wheel. This allows lower pressures for decreased rolling resistance, increased traction, and more comfort. Altogether, these additions still have the Tarmac riding like a true race-machine, but it also takes a bit of the sting out of road imperfections. You'll thank us on your next long ride.
But why disc brakes? The real question is "why not?" They offer superior braking power and modulation, work exceptionally well in wet weather, and offer a very, very minor weight addition. All this means that you have more control and can go faster with more confidence.
We also know, however, that aerodynamic improvements are the most important thing we can do to make you faster. Our Bora-Hansgrohe and Quick-Step Floors Pro Tour riders, after all, are demanding aero improvements on every bike. With this, the aero goal was to discover where we could essentially "add aero for free," by not taking anything away from the hallmarks of the Tarmac design. During the six-month iterative process, three areas were discovered where we could do this—a new fork shape, dropped seatstays with aero tubes, and a D-shaped seatpost and seat tube. The result? A bike that's approximately 45 seconds faster over 40km compared to other lightweight bikes in the same category.
The build spec on this Tarmac Disc is value-packed, featuring Shimano Ultegra mechanical shifting, Shimano hydraulic disc brakes, a Roval C 38 Disc carbon fiber wheelset.
- Featuring our Rider-First Engineered™ design that ensures every frame size has the same legendary climbing responsiveness and descending prowess you'd expect from a Tarmac. The FACT 10r frame is the perfect blend of value and performance.
- Shimano's no-fuss Ultegra shifting with hydraulic disc brakes provides precise shifting and plenty of stopping power.
- Yep, that's right—carbon wheels on an Expert-level bike. The Roval C38 Disc carbon wheels bring performance to the masses. They're lightweight, durable, and ready for just about anything.
The Win Tunnel: Rim vs. Disc Brakes
- FRAME Tarmac SL6, FACT 10r carbon, Rider-First Engineered™, OSBB, clean routing, internally integrated seat clamp, 12x142mm thru-axle, flat-mount disc
- FORK FACT 10r carbon, 12x100mm thru-axle, flat-mount disc
- FRONT WHEEL Roval C 38 Disc, carbon, tubeless-ready, 38mm depth, 24h
- REAR WHEEL Roval C 38 Disc, carbon, tubeless-ready, 38mm depth, 24h
- INNER TUBES Turbo Ultralight, 48mm Presta valve
- FRONT TYRE S-Works Turbo, 120 TPI, folding bead, BlackBelt protection, 700x26mm
- REAR TYRE S-Works Turbo, 120 TPI, folding bead, BlackBelt protection, 700x26mm
- CRANKSET Shimano Ultegra R8000, HollowTech 2, 11-speed
- CHAINRINGS 52/36T
- BOTTOM BRACKET Praxis, BB30 for Shimano
- SHIFT LEVERS Shimano Ultegra Disc R8020
- FRONT DERAILLEUR Shimano Ultegra R8000, braze-on
- REAR DERAILLEUR Shimano Ultegra R8000-GS, medium cage
- CASSETTE Shimano Ultegra R8000, 11-speed, 11-30t
- CHAIN Shimano Ultegra, 11-speed
- FRONT BRAKE Shimano Ultegra R8070, hydraulic disc
- REAR BRAKE Shimano Ultegra R8070, hydraulic disc
- HANDLEBARS Specialized Expert Shallow Drop, alloy, 125mm drop x 75mm reach
- TAPE S-Wrap Roubaix w/ sticky gel
- STEM Specialized Pro SL, alloy, 4-bolt
- SADDLE Toupe Expert Gel, 143mm, hollow titanium rails, Adaptive Edge
- SEATPOST S-Works FACT Carbon Tarmac seatpost, 20mm offset
- SEAT BINDER Tarmac SL6 clamp assembly
|Bike Standover Height||740mm||755mm||775mm||795mm||826mm||850mm|
|Fork Length, Full||363mm||363mm||363mm||363mm||363mm||363mm|
|Head Tube Angle||72°||73°||73°||74°||74°||74°|
|Head Tube Length||115mm||126mm||143mm||163mm||190mm||210mm|
|Seat Tube Angle||76°||74°||74°||74°||74°||73°|
|Seat Tube Length||431mm||462mm||481mm||501mm||522mm||553mm|
|Top Tube Length, Horizontal||508mm||531mm||540mm||562mm||577mm||595mm|